On 09/17/2016 03:21 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote: > On Saturday 17 September 2016 04.35:28 Nathan Rugg wrote: >> On 09/17/2016 09:57 AM, Kate Draven wrote: >>>> I recently installed Trinity and everything is going well except that >>>> konqueror classifies all files with no extension as octet-stream. Any >>>> idea how to fix that problem? If I use `file` from the command line like >>>> this `file --mime-type FILENAME`, it will give the correct mime type. >>>> GTK programs also work correctly. It appears to be something specific >>>> with TDE. >>>> >>>> Thanks. >>>> >>>> Nathan > Hello Nathan, > > You don't say what distribution you installed on, nor what type the files > really are. You don't say either why you have files without extension. Do > they come from another system (I mostly know Windows and Mac users to create > such as their OS/UI hide the extensions by default). > > I tried to duplicate your problem here (openSUSE 13.1 + TDE 14) but I can't: > > - If I remove the extension to LibreOffice files, Konqueror still identifies > them correctly > - If I create files without extension (I can't do that with LibreOffice, by > the way) with kedit, I get this: > > An empty text file is seen as "unknown", Konqueror asks me to choose the > program to open it. > > If I type a few words into the file, it gets identified as "plain text" > > > So it seems to me that Konqueror actually has a way to analyse the file. This > might point to a problem in identifying your files. > > Anyway, I am not sure your problem is TDE specific, at least as long as it is > a problem of "no extension", because here Konqueror does not classify files > without extension as octet-stream. There seems to be someting specific also > to your files. > > Thierry > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: trinity-users-unsubscribe@... > For additional commands, e-mail: trinity-users-help@... > Read list messages on the web archive: http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ > Please remember not to top-post: http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting > Hi Thierry, Thanks for the reply. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1. To clarify, if I rename any file, like a .jpg, .txt, .odt, etc and remove the extension Konqueror can't identify them. It treats it as an octet-stream. It was working a few days ago. I don't know what happened or how to fix it. Nautilus and other non-TDE programs recognize the files correctly without an extension, but Konqueror can't.