trinity-users@lists.pearsoncomputing.net

Message: previous - next
Month: January 2017

Re: [trinity-users] TDE 14.0.4 on Debian Stretch, tdm-trinity, tdeinit problem SOLVED

From: "L.S. McCarty" <lsmccarty@...>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:36:50 -0500
On 01/01/17 05:23 AM, Slávek Banko wrote:
> On Sunday 01 of January 2017 06:13:30 Michele Calgaro wrote:
>> On 2017/01/01 05:50 AM, L.S. McCarty wrote:
>>> Hello to all.
>>>
>>> I'm a long-time TDE user running TDE 14.0.4 amd64 on Debian 9.x
>>> Stretch (unstable, actually Siduction, using systemd). It works well,
>>> although I occasionally run into minor issues that I eventually
>>> solve. It is after all "unstable".
>>>
>>> Over the last few weeks a problem remains, binutils_2.27-9_amd64.deb
>>> works fine, but several updates of this program which can be loaded
>>> by itself, most recently binutils_2.27.90.201612331-1_amd64.deb, all
>>> render the system unbootable.
>>>
>>> The boot cycle proceeds from sda1 without any errors but the tdm
>>> signon comes up with a black background rather the normal blue TDE
>>> one. When I logon I get an error message and TDE does not load,
>>> showing a problem with my home partition on sda5:
>>>
>>> Could not read connection list
>>> /home/lsm1/.DCOPserver_LSM1_0
>>> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running
>>>
>>> When I hit Enter I then get:
>>>
>>> Could not start tdeinit, Check your installation.
>>>
>>>
>>> This problem is specific to TDE as I can still load the backup
>>> desktop LXQT by the usual logon from the TDE signon box.
>>>
>>> When I boot to the console and downgrade to binutils_2.27-9_amd64.deb
>>> everything works as usual on the reboot.
>>>
>>>
>>> If anyone has any possible solutions I'd be happy to try them out and
>>> report back.
>>
>> Hi there,
>> when binutils is updated, it is necessary to rebuild (or use a rebuilt
>> version of) "dependencies/libr". Without doing so, trying to update
>> binutils will raise a conflict with tdelibs which in turns brings up a
>> long list of packages that needs to be "removed". After rebuilding and
>> installing the new libr, binutils can be updated without problem.
>>
>> for those using TDE on Sid/stretch you have two choices:
>> 1) if you are building TDE yuorselves, just rebuild and install libr
>> 2) if you are using preliminary stable builds from Slavek's repo, wait
>> until libr is rebuilt and then update binutils at the same time.
>>
>> After doing all that, I think you will not run into the issue mentioned
>> by McCarty. If you do so, just rebuild and reinstall tdelibs as well
>> from CLI.
>> Just for info, from time to time I run into the same issue (last time
>> was a few weeks ago) and rebuilding as described has always fixed the
>> problem so far (I think libr is enough, but since I do not remember
>> 100% I also recommended tdelibs is the problem persists).
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>>   Michele
>
> I can confirm that the rebuild 'libr' is sufficient. Previously it was
> dependent on binutils also tdebase == was necessary to rebuild tdebase.
> However, for R14.0.x this is no longer valid.
>
> I try to update 'libr' in preliminary stable builds repository as soon as
> I notice a change binutils in the Debian repository. However, then it is
> essential that users have properly updated lists from preliminary stable
> builds repository. Without that, it just can not work smoothly.
>
> Cheers
>

 >Thanks to all for the comprehensive advice. I usually find important 
 >things through questions from others so I don't have to ask too many 
 >things myself.

 >I updated to R14.0.5 PSB (I usually track PSB but just hadn't got to 
 >it). Then I tried both of the latest binutils versions, debian testing 
 >and unstable. The problem remains exactly as before. Is there any 
 >further info I can provide?


SOLVED!

After reading several of the messages in this thread I now understand my 
problem. I update files manually using synaptic. When I updated to 
R14.0.5 I just searched for trinity files. Hence Slaveck's updated libr0 
file didn't update. When I updated to libr0 4:0.6.0-3debian9.0.0+4~b6 
everything worked.

Now that I think of it I remember some previous problems with libr0. 
I'll now pay more attention to this. Anyway, thanks to all for the help!


-- 
SENT BY: Lynn McCarty
	

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: trinity-users-unsubscribe@...
For additional commands, e-mail: 
trinity-users-help@...
Read list messages on the web archive: 
http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/
Please remember not to top-post: 
http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting