Message: previous - next
Month: April 2017

Re: [trinity-users] Ubuntu is giving up on Mir and jumps on the Wayland bandwagon / create Wayland bug-tracker ticket for TDE

From: "E. Liddell" <ejlddll@...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 07:39:59 -0400
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 07:38:03 +0200
"Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <office@...> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2017 schrieb Jan Kleks:
> > Here's the news:
> > ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
> > 
> > I guess this would be essential for increasing Wayland adoption. And when
> > it comes to Wayland and the TDE, could you create a bug-tracker ticket so
> > that we can track progress (even if very slow) for TDE's Wayland support,
> > please?
> >   
> It may be m ignorance, but I have never met Wayland in the wild. What does it do, that X11 does not?

It's easier for developers to maintain and extend.  X11 is a mass of crufty old
code, vestigial organs whose functions have been taken over by other programs,
and half-baked extensions, or so I'm told.  It likely has multiple security holes
hidden in the less-used codepaths.

For 90% of users, Wayland shouldn't make much difference.  The other 10%
are going to have to find substitutes for features like display forwarding that
X does but Wayland doesn't (and never will).  Despite this, Wayland is likely
to be adopted by all distros eventually because no one wants to maintain X 

Porting TDE to Wayland will likely require some work on QT3 first.  Then on
the window manager.  I'm not sure if it affects other components.

E. Liddell