Message: previous - next
Month: November 2013

Re: [trinity-users] Errors while compiling tdebase

From: Vince Reher <vreher@...>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:01:57 -0800
On Tuesday 12 November 2013, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> > I have been trying to compile Trinity from source on a relatively current
> > Gentoo system and am running into the following errors:
> >
> > In file included from
> > /offline/1-1/TDE/main/tdebase/kcontrol/tdm/main.cpp:342:0:
> > /offline/1-1/TDE/BUILD/tdebase-3.5.13/kcontrol/background/main.moc:
> > In member function ‘virtual void* KBackground::tqt_cast(const char*)’:
> > /offline/1-1/TDE/BUILD/tdebase-3.5.13/kcontrol/background/main.moc:81:41:
> > error: cannot call member function ‘virtual void*
> > TDECModule::qt_cast(const char*)’ without object
> >
> > and similar errors for tqt_invoke, tqt_emit, and tqt_property.
> >
> > I tried GCC versions 4.7.3, 4.6.3, 4.5.3 and experience the same error.
> > It also occurs regardless of whether I am compiling with current git
> > sources or the Trinity release tarballs I found at
> >
> >
> > Anybody else experience this?  I tried playing around with the source code
> > (not really knowing what I am doing) to get beyond the error but that just
> > got me linker errors instead.  Building TDE had been going pretty smoothly
> > until this.
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > trinity-users-unsubscribe@...
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > trinity-users-help@...
> > Read list messages on the web archive:
> >
> > Please remember not to top-post:
> >
> Do you have any version of Qt3 and/or TQt3 other than TQt3 from GIT
> installed on your system?
> Tim

I am sure that there was no vestige of a former Qt3 and/or TQt3, at least on some of the systems I tried building in, but your question suggested further investigations about whether I had a truly 'clean room' build environment.  I edited the cmake & autoconf shell scripts I was using to build in order to remove influential environment variables and configuration options that were not explicitly called for in your build instructions.  After doing so, I was able to get past the compiler error, at least for stock  I'll try again tomorrow with the current git sources.

Although there was nothing obviously wrong with my original scripts (designed on the fly to fix build problems from several years ago), I now believe that these somehow bypassed the tqtinterface to tqt3.  The main suspects are the setting of the C*_INCLUDE_PATH environment variables and / or passing an improper explicit -DMOC_EXECUTABLE parameter to the cmake configure script.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm back in operation.